How to Better Protect Yourself From Biohazards in the Workplace
This past year has brought countless new challenges into our daily personal lives, as well as our workplaces. With most of these changes affecting our personal health and wellbeing, along with those around us, it is important to not become lacking in our caution and safety practices. I am sure many more people are now taking everyday precautions more seriously than in previous years, but it is still important to familiarize yourself again with proper biohazard procedures.
Can you protect yourself from every biohazard in your workplace?
While there is no one way that can insure 100% that you will not be affected, there are many precautions to take that can greatly reduce your chances.
- Treating each situation as potentially dangerous. Do not ever assume a situation involving biohazards will be fine to respond to without proper precautions.
- Washing your hands frequently with warm water and soap.
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) when responding to situations involving biohazards. These can include gloves, facemasks and shields, respirators, aprons, special protective eyewear, and full body gowns or suits.
- Utilizing proper disposal methods including labeled biohazard bags or containers.
- Reporting all incidents to your supervisor.
Info from: aftermath.com
So, as you go into the new year, remember to keep safety as your top priority.