Fall Into Winter With SERVPRO of Lufkin/ S. Nacogdoches County
Fall will soon turn into winter here in the Deep East Texas area, which means the ups and downs of Texas winter weather conditions. Follow this checklist to prepare your home for the winter season:
Winter Weather Checklist for Your Home:
Put weather strips on doors & windows to prevent heat from escaping.
Insulate water lines that run along outer walls of home - to prevent frozen pipes.
Chimney & flue inspection.
Purchase a fire extinguisher.
Check roof for any possible leaks - repair them if necessary.
Purchase salt & sand for the entryway of your home.
Purchase bottled water, batteries, a first-aid kit, and canned food in case of an emergency.
Keep your home temperature above freezing (even if you are not home) - to prevent frozen pipes.
Make sure to keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from any flammable items & always turn them off before leaving the house or going to sleep.
Help others - check to see that your elderly neighbors are prepared for winter weather as well!
Power Outage Safety Checklist:
Have a flashlight in your home.
Leave water taps slightly open to drip continuously.
Conserve heat by keeping doors and windows closed unless absolutely necessary to open them.
Dress warm & stay dry.
As temperatures fluctuate, SERVPRO of Lufkin/ S. Nacogdoches County wants to remind everyone to be prepared for any size disaster. Pipes can burst when temperatures drop. To prevent your home from further damage call for 24/7 Emergency Service call SERVPRO of Lufkin/ S. Nacogdoches County today at 936-559-0404! We are here to help!
The 3 Categories of Water Damage
There are 3 Basic Categories of Water
Category 1 originates from a sanitary source and poses no substantial risk from dermal, ingestion, or inhalation exposure. However, it may not always remain clean after it comes into contact with other surfaces or materials.
Category 2 contains significant contamination and has the potential to cause discomfort or sickness if contacted or consumed by humans. It may contain potentially unsafe levels of microorganisms or nutrients for microorganisms, as well as other organic or inorganic matter (chemical or biological).
Category 3 is grossly contaminated and may contain pathogenic, toxigenic or other harmful agents. Such water sources may carry silt, organic matter, pesticides, heavy metals, regulated materials, or toxic organic substances.
Time and temperature can also affect the quality of water, thereby changing its category. *Refer to the IICRC S500 for complete definitions.
No one expects pipes to burst, water heaters to break, or toilets and washers to overflow. If this happens, your quick response along with the highly trained specialists from SERVPRO of Lufkin / S. Nacogdoches Countywill limit your damages and potentially save you thousands of dollars!
The 4 Primary Classifications of Water Damage
The 4 Primary Classifications of Water Damage
Class 1 is the least amount of water, absorption and evaporation. It affects only part of a room or area, or larger areas containing materials that have absorbed minimal moisture. Little or no wet carpet and/or cushion is present.
Class 2 involves a large amount of water, absorption and evaporation. It affects at least an entire room of carpet and cushion (pad). Water has wicked up walls less than 24 inches. There is moisture remaining in structural materials and substructure soil.
Class 3 involves the greatest amount of water, absorption and evaporation. Water may have come from overhead. Ceilings, walls, insulation, carpet, cushion and subfloor in virtually all of the entire area are saturated.
Class 4 relates to specialty drying situations. Wet materials with very low permeance/porosity (eg. hardwood, plaster, brick, concrete, light-weight concrete and stone). Typically, there are deep pockets of saturation, which require very low specific humidity. These types of losses may require longer drying times and special methods.
*Refer to the IICRC S500 for complete definitions.
No one expects pipes to burst, water heaters to break, or toilets and washers to overflow. If this happens, your quick response along with the highly trained specialists from SERVPRO of Lufkin / S. Nacogdoches County will limit your damages and potentially save you thousands of dollars!
Thanksgiving Cautions in Deep East Texas
Serving a deep fried turkey on Thanksgiving has grown in popularity over the years as people experiment more in their kitchens. While it may be a mouth-watering option is the risk truly worth it? Many of you may have seen the numerous videos of turkey fryer explosions and fires publicized online. Don’t run the risk of property damage or injury – make sure you take the proper precautions when menu planning this season; especially if you are taking on a deep fried turkey.
- Turkey Fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area. Consider placement of the fryer, is it flat, sturdy, out of reach from children?
- An overfilled cooking pot will cause oil to spill when the turkey is put in and a frozen or partially frozen turkey will cause cooking oil to splatter (sometimes with great force) when put in the pot
- Even a small amount of cooking oil spilt on a hot burner can cause a considerable flame or fire
- Without thermostat controls some turkey fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire. Make sure it’s not too hot.
- The sides of the cooking pot, lid and handles can get dangerously hot. Protect you hands when maneuvering to prevent injury or spillage
Your friends at SERVPRO of Lufkin/ S. Nacogdoches County wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and remind you to stay safe. Remember, our team is on call 24/7 365 days a year, no matter what holiday or time of night. If you experience a fire SERVPRO of Lufkin/ S. Nacogdoches County will come to your rescue, don’t hesitate to call 936-559-0404.
Candle Alternatives for Your Home
Candles provide warm light and a refreshing scent in your home. They also pose a credible fire hazard. An unattended candle flame can contact a flammable object and create disastrous fire damage. Even though a fire restoration company can help you bring your home back, candle alternatives can prevent these incidents. Continue reading and consider some of the following options.
1. Oil and Wax Warmers
Warmers are safer solutions that deliver both light and a refreshing scent without an exposed flame. They usually have a small dish with either essential oils or wax. The device, powered by batteries or electricity, heats up the contents, providing aroma and illumination.
2. Electric Candles
If you value the light and aesthetic value that candles give, then you might appreciate electric candles. These items operate on batteries. They largely resemble actual candles and generate around the same amount of light, but they can be left alone with no candle fire risk.
3. Book Lights
When using light mainly for visual purposes like reading, book lights are the perfect candle alternatives. These devices come with clips so you can attach them inside books, near desks or on any convenient area. They give enough reading light without consuming too much energy or disturbing others.
4. Fairy Lights
Fairy lights are another flameless solution. These lights are powered by electricity or batteries and can be spread throughout the room to create relaxed, atmospheric lighting. Fairy lights can last for a long time and come in a variety of colors and shapes.
5. Stick Diffusers
There are several options if you are simply looking for an elegant scent for your home. Stick diffusers deliver a strong fragrance without using any power source. Sticks such as reed absorb the scented oil in the bottle and spread out the pleasant smell.
Though candles may provide both illumination and fragrance for your Lufkin, TX, home, there are plenty of safe candle alternatives. Using any of these items can prevent a candle fire from destroying your house.
Bring that old Letterman jacket back to life!
Proudly ready to sport that like new letterman jacket!
Advanced Technology and Techniques
The past few decades has seen a rapid advancement in the technology and techniques used in the restoration industry. These advancements allow SERVPRO Franchise Professionals to restore a property back to preloss condition quickly, reliably, and more effectively.
The Esporta Wash System is capable of decontaminating soft contents from all categories of losses; including sewage, mold and can restore damage caused by smoke and soot from a fire. The decontamination efficacy (this means how well it removes the contaminants) has been validated by numerous third party laboratory tests performed by leading hygienists, universities, and industry consultants. The Esporta Wash System is an unparalleled cleaning process capable of decontaminating without deteriorating fabrics or reducing material reflectivity.
Call Us Today – (936) 637-0404
Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is right around the bend and it is important to take every safety precaution. Here are a few tips and tricks to practice to keep yourself and your children safe.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Look left, right and left again when crossing and keep looking as you cross.
- Put electronic devices down and keep heads up and walk, don’t run, across the street.
- Teach children to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible. Children should walk on direct routes with the fewest street crossings.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
Trick or Treat With an Adult
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, they should stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
Keep Costumes Both Creative and Safe
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors.
- Choose face paint and makeup whenever possible instead of masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- When selecting a costume, make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
Drive Extra Safely on Halloween
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Eliminate any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Drive slowly, anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic and turn your headlights on earlier in the day to spot children from greater distances.
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. so be especially alert for kids during those hours.
Do You Need Mold Services ASAP in Lufkin, Tx?
Don't let mold overrun your home.
Mold thrives in a warm, humid and damp environment. Mold can cause health effects in your life. Mold or mildew is not harmful in small quantities; it only becomes harmful when its growth spirals out of control and increases in quantity. Your home is likely to have mold if there are leaking pipes, leaks in the roof, poor ventilation, condensation, flooding and wet clothes. Dealing with these problems early enough can prevent mold from setting in and causing havoc on the property.
There are ways in which you can prevent this menace from happening. Always ensure that you clean up water as soon as it spills in large amounts because this will reduce the chances of mold growing there. Also, ensure there is ample ventilation in the house after you finish cooking showering or washing utensils. Insulate your house to quell condensation. Also, keep the basement dry always. If all these fail, you should seek the help of professionals to remove mold from your home. These are the telltale signs that you should look out for if you want to know whether you need mold services;
- If your home has experienced flooding recently due to excessive rain, broken appliance or pipe there is the likelihood that mold will grow. This can happen especially if you did not enlist the services of professionals to clean it.
- When you see mold growth, it is also a red flag that you should do something about it.
- The presence of an unpleasant and wet odor it can be emanating from the mold.
- If you or anyone else living in the house start experiencing allergies that you did not have before
- The presence of moisture should also alert you to the imminent growth of mold and hence the need to call in professionals.
Construction Safety Tips for Nacogdoches, Texas
Busy construction worksites are often very dangerous places to be. Many things can go wrong throughout the process of a project, so it is in one's best interest to take the proper preventative safety measures. These three basic tips will help minimize any risk.
1. Find the correct Personal Protective Equipment to Wear on the Job.
Wearing the proper gear for a job proves to be very helpful in preventing injury. When lifting heavy objects, be sure to wear a secure back brace to limit damage to your body and the surrounding areas. Wearing proper construction footwear such as non-slip rubber soled shoes will prove to be very helpful in avoiding slipping and falling.
It is also extremely important to protect your lungs and wear breathing masks to avoid inhaling dangerous toxins around you.
2. Limit Crowding Within the Work Area
It is not uncommon for those working on a construction site to crowd around large and powerful machinery. Although it may often be unintentional, staying away from this powerful machinery is your best bet in limiting damage to other workers and even pedestrians. This rule should be strictly enforced on a construction site, and it is the responsibility of the foreman to ensure his surroundings are clear before engaging in his work.
3. Loading and Unloading Equipment Safety
Make sure there is ample room around you when loading and unloading heavy equipment off of machinery. Proper clearance of all obstacles and people around you is key in avoiding damaging any people or structures that are around you. Make sure that all objects are secured using the correct tie-down procedures.
By following these tips, you can make your construction site as safe and efficient as possible for you and your team. Although these tips may seem basic is should always be your first priority to practice the correct safety measures in the workplace.
How To Safely Remove Odors, Kill Germs And Clean The Air In Nacogdoches, Texas
5,000 cfm max fan output, 40,000 cubic feet maxi treatment area, 8,000 hour optimum performance bulb life & Permanent washable electrostatic filter
The Hydroxyl Generator is one of the most scientifically-advanced pieces of equipment we use to combat malodors and leave a property deodorized following biohazard, fire or water damage events.
The main benefit of using a true hydroxyl generator is that they are safe to use in occupied areas for deodorization purposes. For insurance companies and commercial businesses alike, they love this machine because it means less out of pocket expenses and henceforth, less business disruption!
These generators have been successfully tested on fires and other restoration and bio jobs, including protein fires, floods, dead body situations, skunk odors, pet urine odors, musty odors and many types of odors. However, it’s important to note that hydroxyl generators are not intended for use on mold remediation jobs where there is a large infestation on surfaces or behind walls. The established protocols should always be followed in these instances. But generators with good filtration are excellent for airborne microbial remediation where bacteria or fungi have become aerosolized.
Here’s a rundown of some additional facts in order to give you the inside scoop, should you ever need to reach out to us for smoke/soot deodorization needs:
How it Works:
- UVA rays are emitted from the titanium dioxide photocatalytic lamps (wow, that was a mouthful) where they then pass through a permanent anatase coated super reactor screen, forming electron hole pairs that react with water and oxygen in the air to form free electrons and hydroxyl radicals that then decompose and eliminate organic and inorganic gases and air pollutants. Wow, trying saying all that in one breath!
- Use on fire and flood damage restoration jobs
- Use to destroy odors from cigarette smoke, dead body, urine, garbage, airborne VOCs and more
As always, if you want to learn more about any of our SERVPRO of Lufkin/S.Nacogdoches County pieces of restoration hardware, feel free to reach out. We have helpful staff willing to explain further any of our services – (936) 559-0404.